Saturday, September 3, 2011

Flip book

Do you remember playing with a flip book when you were little and being amazed by the action you "saw"?  I got one as a prize in a Christmas cracker not too long ago and was still charmed by the action.   Wikipedia claims that the first flip book appeared in 1868 and was patented under the name kineograph, meaning "moving picture.  A quick Google search turns up all sorts of software and guides for making flip books.  I'll bet there's even an "ap for that."

These photos of Darby and Pumpkin fighting -- PLAY fighting, although it sometimes looks and sounds real -- got me thinking of flip books.  While I didn't click the camera quite as quickly as necessary to produce a good flip book, I think you can almost see the action just from these non-moving pictures!

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Are you tired already?  Come on!  Let's play some more!
(If I turned these photos into a flip book, I wonder is that giant collection of dog hair in the corner by the cabinet, would appear to move around just like the girls would.)  

4 comments:

Becky said...

Cute! I wish my boys only play fought! As the Bear gets bigger I referee more and more. Finally have a small spray bottle. Sounds cruel and I know they won't really hurt each other (past experience) but it gets pretty wild at times. Have a nice holiday weekend!

Bella Roxy & Macdui said...

We can see the action, and as we get fairly noisy, we can imagine the sound effects.

XXXOOO Daisy, Kendra & Bella

Boo21's Mom said...

Daisy and Co., I'll bet the three of you can make a LOT of noise! Becky, sometimes the girls fight more "for real." By "for real" I mean they are angry, not just "wrasslin'" Neither of them gets hurt, either, but they are wary of each other for awhile afterward. Bonnie and Darby fought like that sometimes, but Darby backed off with Bonnie. Neither Darby or Pumpkin back down quickly! The squirt bottle doesn't sound cruel at all! A stick is cruel!

Becky said...

Thanks! The Bear acts like you have hit him with a stick when you squirt him. The hurt in his eyes breaks your heart. It takes like five squirts to calm Buddy down and he just moves away to wait for his next chance. I think, having boys, it's an alpha male thing. I'm hoping as the Bear grows it will calm down. Until then I keep the spray bottle full and close by and try not to be to hard on the Bear.