Sunday, March 14, 2010

Comparing

I think human beings can't help but make comparisons. Sometimes, it's useless: Like my mom and millions of other moms always said "Someone will always be better off than you and someone will always have it worse."

Sometimes, making comparisons can be destructive such as when it leaves siblings envious of each other and sure that "Mom always liked you best!" (Remember the Smothers Brothers?)

But sometimes making comparisons is downright fun. I can't be the only person who remembers the fun of comparing scars with a new boyfriend. Comparing recipes and family traditions with friends is fun, often because of the differences it reveals. And I love comparing my experiences in 12 years of Catholic schools with others who went to Catholic school, because of the amazing similarities it reveals. ("Yes! We did that, too!")

I'm looking forward to comparing my Darby Short Stuff to her mom.  In this case making comparisons will be downright fun and downright amazing because of the circumstances that allowed it to happen!

2 comments:

Snake Oak Farm said...

how exciting mom! Just caught up with the blog. Can't wait to hear all about it. Have fun!

betty said...

that would be so neat to compare the pup to the mom! can't wait to hear your thoughts about Darby and her mother

betty