Thursday, April 12, 2012

Rain chains

A few years ago when Glenn announced he was going to install rain chains on our patio cover, I immediately thought of the lovely strings of cunning, delicate, little bucket-like things I once saw hanging off the roof of a building somewhere.

As the buckets filled up with rainwater, they tipped over and the rainwater slid down the chain to the next little bucket, and on and on.  It was mesmerizing. 

I didn't realize Glenn really meant chains.  

The "ball-and-chain" kind of chain.  The sort of chain one uses to tow a vehicle or restrain a junkyard guard dog.  CHAINS.

They've grown on me now.  I'd still prefer those sweet little buckets, but those chains would never have given me these shots: 
 

3 comments:

Bella Roxy & Macdui said...

That's funny! We love Darby in the links, though.

XXXOOODaisy, Bella & Roxy

Taryn said...

What purpose do the chains serve? Directing where the water runs off?

PS One of my verification words was iCardi :-)

Rain Chains said...

Rain chains are a decorative, functional and aesthetically pleasing alternate to traditional unattractive rain gutter downspouts. They add an architectural accent to the home, exterior, yard or patio.