Saturday, September 24, 2011

Thunderstorm!

Well, anyone who lives on the Right Coast will scoff at me for calling the weather we had yesterday a "thunderstorm," but there was thunder and lightening; big beautiful clouds and rain.  A thunderstorm.  Nothing like the thunderstorm my sister and I drove through in North Carolina two years ago trying to get to the hospital before my brother died.  Nothing like the thunderstorm that ushered him out of this world a day later -- the perfect exit for a Southern-born boy who loved storms.  And, nothing like the wonderful afternoon storms I witnessed with Erika earlier this year when I visited her in Virginia--those were healing storms; they pushed to the side the sad association I had carried regarding storms and added a lovely and fun memory.  

So, the weather yesterday was not like those storms, but for a few minutes there was thunder and lightening and rain -- a thunderstorm!

Anyone who lives on the Right Coast is likely also to be wondering what is it with her and thunderstorms?  Southern California produces tremendous, sometimes devastatingly destructive Santa Ana winds, flooding rains when El Nino visits and wind-whipped fire storms that destroy homes and kill people, but we don't have thunderstorms very often.  So, when we do, they are worthy of note.  At least by me.




When I opened the back door, Pumpkin rushed outside and lapped the rain up off the patio.  My Velcro dog stayed by my side in the doorway.

What?  You like drinking out of the garden hose, don't you?  Same thing...


2 comments:

Scooter said...

Wow, you have so many memories of those rare storms. Love your pix and I'm glad that the weather an interesting experience for you. Looks like Pumpkin enjoyed it too!
Grr and Woof,
Sarge, COP

Becky said...

Hi! So glad you're home and feeling better! Bet your girls missed you! Love the storm pictures. We had clouds early on in the day but no rain! Glad it's cooler. We have started to walk again! The Bear is even coming when called maybe 3 out of 5 times. Improving!