Sunday, August 22, 2010

Container Gardening

So.  Along with half of the the US (if one is to believe newspaper articles, blogs, and the blurbs on seed catalogs) I decided I wanted to grow some of our food.  Specifically tomatoes.  Southern California grocery stores offer pale, mealy tomatoes grown in Chili, while those grown here in California (which might also be pale and mealy, but that is another story) are shipped to other parts of the US.

But, we have gophers.  So, I decided to grow my garden in containers.  BIG containers. Nearly waist-high containers.

We also have dogs and I thought the containers would keep the tasty greens and vegetables away from my vertically-challenged girls.  

But, I underestimated the will of a Corgi to reach food:
Who knew Corgis liked oregano!

For now, Darby is leaving the container garden alone and is still doing her after-breakfast grazing on the feverfew and purslane growing trying to grow on the down-slope that Glenn and I still haven't figured out how to landscape (after 13 years....) 

So, maybe the container garden isn't as Corgi-proof as I thought it would be, but I'm pretty sure the gourds on the trellis are safe:



2 comments:

Snake Oak Farm said...

We are going to do this next year! It turned out so good mom. :)

Amy said...

I LOVE those containers!! One of the things I miss most about Iowa is having my own garden. Can't wait to be somewhere other than AZ and get back to growing again!!