Friday, June 10, 2011

She remembers me

For some reason I am always surprised when an animal remembers a human that the animal used to know but no longer sees on a regular basis. My father was the manager of the Children's Zoo in The San Diego Zoo from when I was five years old until he retired when I was about 25.
He formed a bond with a young cheetah named Sonja who had been in the movie "Hatari" (if I remember correctly.) When Sonja moved to the main zoo, my father didn't see her daily anymore, but whenever he did go to her new enclosure, she would make a beeline for a part of the fence (behind the scenes) where my father could reach his fingers though the wire to touch her. She would rub up against the fence just like a big kitty cat and chuffle -- the purr-like sound content, happy cheetahs make. This went on for many years.

Bonnie remembered me, too. Erika let her out the front door when I drove up yesterday night and when I called her, she made an excited beeline right to me. Tonight, she jumped up on the bed in my room (the guest room) and was about to settle in until Erika called her. It's true, I was Bonnie's mom for almost a year, so I guess it shouldn't be surprising that she would remember me, but for some reason it is!

I remembered how nice it is to be with Erika and Bonnie. And the reality is even better than the memory! I would chuffle if I could!

4 comments:

Bella Roxy & Macdui said...

We NEVER forget! Except Kendra, she never remembers.

Enjoy Bonnie.

XXXOOO Daisy, Kendra & Bella

SHE remembers Sonja.

Scooter said...

Wow, very sweet post. We critters are smarter than most peeps realize. Ever see that video of the lion that was peep-raised, then released, then remembered his peeps later? His name was Christian. Anyway, I think it's cool that you and your dad both had a great animal bond stronger than years.
Grr and Woof,
Sarge, COP

Frankie Furter and Ernie said...

I know that I can remember stuffs from WAY back when I was a pup. I recently went to a place that I had not been fur over 3 years.. and I made a bee line fur where the peeps had kept the SNACKS.

Garden of Rambles said...

So sweet! And they do remember.
Love your blog. I have two welsh corgis and now I've added a new love - the cardigans.