Thursday, April 21, 2011

Rolling -- Updated

Update:  Based on the comments, I think the way I first wrote this post was misleading.  The photographs represent two times when Darby overshot the ball when trying to retrieve it.  She and Bonnie both "roll."  It seems to be a very  efficient way of changing course quickly.  Darby and Bonnie would do it when they were playing, and if I'm remembering correctly, Erika said Bonnie used to do it when running in the dog park.  

To catch each  series of photos, I held my shutter button down and fired off multiple shots as Darby rolled over until she ended up back on her feet.  I'll insert a comment between the two series below.   


She can be rambunctious, but she doesn't do this every time I throw the ball for her!


Sometimes Darby runs after a ball so rambunctiously that she overshoots it and has to use a football-style shoulder roll to recover.   Like this:
 



End of the first set of photos; almost back on her feet. 

Start of the second set. 





Back on her feet, ball in her mouth and on her way back to me!

6 comments:

Scooter said...

Hey Darby!
Wow, great pix of all the action! No pain, no gain, right?! You're obviously playing with gusto. Great job!
Grr and Woof,
Sarge, COP

Taryn said...

HOLY MOLY! Darby is definitely over the top for her game of fetch! The first photo is fabulous! The rest make my back hurt just looking at them. She is a WILD girl!

Bella Roxy & Macdui said...

Great technique, Darby. Do you think your peeps is throwing like that JUST to get photos?

XXXOOO Daisy, Kendra & Bella

Lori @ According to Gus said...

I love your shoulder roll, Darby! It would be great to see a video of it. You obviously go all out when you are playing. We saw a dog last weekend who was entertaining when she would run over the top of her ball, spin around and go after it from the other direction. Your technique is much better though!

Life With Corgis said...

One of my Corgis, Jack, does the "Corgi Roll Thing." I recently read that it's actually a breed thing...they roll to get out of the way of kicking cattle. In Jack's case he's just rolling because he looks cute doing it...riiigghtt. Love it Darby!

Garden of Rambles said...

Darby, such a clever girl.