Saturday, December 11, 2010

Another gift idea -- but no Corgiage

So, I have no new corgiage this morning, but if you are looking for a unique, one-of-a-kind gift for someone you love (or someone you just want to impress) check out Paintings Daily by Heidi Malott. First, let me say I stand to gain nothing by plugging Ms. Malott's work and the three pieces I own, I bought fair-and-square.

While I would love to have many of the pieces Heidi has for sale, one has to be sensible.  So, I decided to buy one for each of the four seasons.  I waited patiently while Heidi created TONS of paintings from her lousy (OK. idyllic) vacation to Hawaii with her husband, until she produced enough wintery paintings for me to choose from.  And, I chose this one:



I like the way the tiny branch on the twig easel I made blends in with the bare tree trunks in the paintings.  (Notice also the little bowl Erika made for me when she was in 2nd or 3rd grade.)

A few years ago, Heidi and many other artists took up a challenge to create a painting a day.  I believe it is an exercise in spontaneity, in keeping creative juices flowing, in developing the discipline that creating good work requires.  Heidi has a link on her site to other painting-daily artists and to the man credited as the "original" painting daily person.

Recently, Heidi was invited to participate in a gallery show in Costa Mesa, California.  The show is billed as "An exhibition and sale of fine paintings by a collection of the most noted artists in the United States."  (emphasis mine)  Way to go, Heidi!

For 18 months or so now, I've been Darbying daily.  It is a lot of fun, but sometimes it is a real challenge to come up with something worth slapping up on the blog.  Go check out Heidi's website to see the wonderful things she is able to come up with daily (well, mostly daily.)  

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How pretty and whimsical! Luv it!

Heidi Malott said...

Wow! Thank you for the kind shout out Melissa! I LOVE the easel, very creative.
Thanks again,
Heidi