Monday, October 11, 2010

Pumpkin Day!

Yesterday was Pumpkin Day!  Not Coedwig's American Pie--Pumpkin type-pumpkins, but real Halloween, fall harvest pumpkins.  Like these:


Glenn and I have been going to the same pumpkin patch--Bates Nut Farm in Valley Center, California--since before we were married.  We have never missed a year and we didn't miss this year either.

We started out early because we knew it was going to be hot.
Of course, Darby got to come along, safely tucked into her new car crate (her old one went home with Bonnie and became Bonnie's car crate.)

The countryside here in arid, semi-desert Southern California is nothing like the beautiful green Virginia countryside Erika and I explored last weekend, but, there it is.


And here we are, at Bates Nut Farm:


Looks like this is the one!



I'm glad I don't have to push the wheelbarrow!

Darby got a bit of a ride in the wheelbarrow--but not for long.


Darby and I climbed to the top of a tiered stack of hay bales where we sat (sweating) while Glenn snapped this photo.

Then, with a drink of water for Darby, a lemonade for Glenn, a ginger ale for me and our 92 pound pumpkin safely tucked in beside Darby's crate in the back of the car,  we headed home.

It was a nice Pumpkin Day, but I can't wait for next weekend's Pumpkin Day!

2 comments:

George The Lad said...

Oh I carn't wait to make pumpkin soup! there not in the shops over here yet, well not where we live, they look great in the photos, its not the offen you get that colour on a photo, let us know that you do with it, if you have any recipes :)
See Yea George xxx

Boo21's Mom said...

Hey,George. I hate to tell you, but we never eat the giant pumpkin we get. (I don't think the flesh would be good.) It stays by our front door until at least Thanksgiving. We have had them last until well into February some years! My favorite recipe for pumpkin is PIE! And, (oh, horrors!) I like the recipe on the Libby's canned pumpkin (don't know if you can get that on your side of the pond.) Here is a link to the recipe: http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/libbys-famous-pumpkin-pie/Detail.aspx My sister has made a very good pumpkin cheesecake. Let me know if you'd like that recipe and I'll try to get it.

Darby's human, Melissa